MONTANA – Governor Steve Bullock this week awarded $320,000 in funding to support the growth of 25 Native American-owned businesses across Montana through the Indian Equity Fund Small Business Grant program.
“Encouraging the growth of Native American-owned and operated businesses boosts not only the businesses themselves, but also helps strengthen local economies in the communities they operate in,” Governor Bullock said. “Indian Equity Fund dollars are an important investment in the future of businesses and tribal communities across Montana.”
Each business will receive between $7,000 and $14,000 to help with costs related to land purchases, building, equipment, assets, technology, operational costs, and working capital.
The Indian Equity Fund builds partnerships with tribal governments by investing in Native American entrepreneurships and small businesses and encouraging economic development in tribal nations for the benefit of tribal communities and members.
The following businesses will receive grants through the Indian Equity Fund:
- Leaning Tree Campground, Cabins, Cafe and Store, Doug Fitzgerald (Babb)
- Hometown Dollar Store, Ellen Burdeau (Browning)
- OC Welding, Jonilee Running Fisher (East Glacier)
Chippewa Cree Tribe
- Digital Cleaners, Wilson Mitchell (Box Elder)
- Kyotee Construction, Troy Henderson (Box Elder)
- Diamond M Towing, Pearl Morsette (Box Elder)
- Tim's Tire Repair, Timothy Koop (Box Elder)
Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes
- Hunter Towing and Hauling, Richard Hunter (Ronan)
- Lawn Snowbusters, Helen White Quills (Ronan)
- Water People Tours, Keya Birdsbill-Camel (Ronan)
- Wellknown Buffalo Café, Peggy Wellknown Buffalo (Garryowen)
- Tommy B. Robinson Photography, Tommy Robinson (Lame Deer)
- Not Afraid Equine, Jeremy Not Afraid (Lodge Grass)
- Maggie's Café, Emerley Thex (Ashland)
Fort Belknap Assiniboine and Gros Ventre Tribes
- Rope Savvy, Emma Filesteel (Harlem)
- KL Construction & Realty, Kenneth Lewis (Lodgepole)
- Denise's Place, Denise Werk (Hays)
Fort Peck Assiniboine and Sioux
- ABC Automotive, Eldon Porras (Wolf Point)
- RezKast Media LLC, Adriann Ricker (Poplar)
- White Bear Farrier Service, Kaiden White Bear (Wolf Point)
Little Shell Chippewa Tribe
- Integrity Resources Archaeology LLC, Virginia O’Boyle (Bonner)
- Rose Hollow Catering, Ashley Woodward (Billings)
Northern Cheyenne Tribe
- Fred Bement Landscaping, Fred Bement (Ashland)
- Lynch Coulee Lube, LLC, Quanah Magpie (Lame Deer)
- Spoon + Fork Soups and Salads, JT Martin (Lame Deer)
Grants through the Indian Equity Fund are awarded through a competitive application process administered by the Department of Commerce. Funding awards require in-kind matching funds from grant recipients. Applicants are encouraged to work with their local Native American Business Advisors year-round not only to put together competitive applications, but also to gain valuable business skills and access to business counseling services.
Learn more at INDIANCOUNTRY.MT.GOV.